Our Greek Cucumber and Tomato Salad brings together a few ingredients to make a delicious and light salad that you can use as a side, top with some protein, or simply eat on its own whenever you like for a light meal. You’ll love how the flavors of the cucumber and tomato shine through and are not overpowered, allowing them to really take control of the salad. A simple Greek dressing finishes the salad nicely and makes for the perfect compliment.
A one-bowl delight
This dish is one of the easiest you’ll make, as it comes together in one bowl with just a few simple ingredients that you probably already have on hand. Nothing esoteric on this list, for sure. If you’re used to cooking Mediterranean, you’ll probably just throw this recipe together in no time flat. You may even already be doing it.
A note about the dressing
We have another option on this site for a dressing. There is a traditional Greek Dressing that you could use if you wanted to. It has a stronger flavor that will give this salad more of a kick.
However, I included a separate milder option here because I really wanted to let the cucumber and tomato (and kalamata olives and feta) be the stars of the show. In other words, I wanted to let the ingredients, not the dressing, be the flavor. In fact, let’s think about the dressing as more of a light marinade, as this salad gets better and better with age (don’t we all?).
Yet, if you’d like to kick up the flavor a bit, explore the option above for a stronger Greek dressing flavor.
Why a cherry or grape tomato?
Well I tend to prefer using a cherry or a grape tomato, I like the sweetness they provide. Cherry tomatoes (any variety) are sweeter than grape, but I use them interchangeably depending on what looks the best at the grocery store and, let’s face it, what’s on sale. I love, love, love, the constellation mix. It’s such a delight when I go for that one. The bursts of flavor from that pack is terrific. You’ll see me sneak them in around this blog, as I did here.
As always, we want to hear from you and how you enjoyed this recipe – let us know in the comments!
Greek Cucumber and Tomato Salad
- 1/3 cup olive oil extra-virgin
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons oregano dried
- 3 grinds fresh cracked pepper
- 1 English cucumber quartered, sliced 1/4"
- 1 pint cherry or grape tomatoes halved
- 1/2 red onion sliced
- 1/2 cup kalamata olives halved
- 1/2 cup feta crumbled
- In a large bowl assemble all of your dressing ingredients and whisk together.
- In the same bowl (less to clean up!), pile in all of the salad ingredients and toss.
- Serve immediately or store in the refrigerator to marinate until you are ready to serve.
- You can make this salad ahead of time and dress it for a couple of hours, however I would store it in the refrigerator and use it same day.