We thought it might be helpful to start a common recipe substitutions list since our pantries could be getting full of creative ingredients that we need or want to use up before we make our next voyage out to the grocery store. We had intended this to be a newsletter feature (be sure to sign up to your right!) but then thought to ourselves, why not post it to the blog as well for everyone to benefit?! This also allows us to make this a living list for both us and you.
We pulled from some of our previous recipes and cooking knowledge to put this list together, but it is far from comprehensive so we’ll be looking for suggestions below. Some we use to make things vegan. Sometimes we use them to make things a bit more healthy where we can. Others we use to give you more options in case you ran out of an ingredient!
Here they are, we hope these are helpful for you.
Common recipe substitutions:
- Italian seasoning from our Italian Marinade recipe substitute equal parts basil + oregano + thyme + rosemary (optional marjoram)
- 1 egg substitute for 1 T ground flaxseed 3T water (also helps to make things vegan)
- 1 cup unsalted butter substitute for 1 cup unsalted plant based butter or substitute for 1 cup vegetable shortening
- 2 tablespoons + 1 1/2 teaspoons of Pumpkin pie spice from our Slow Cooker Pumpkin Spice Oatmeal recipe (make a batch and save it for later) substitute for 4 teaspoons cinnamon + 2 teaspoons ground ginger + 1 teaspoon ground cloves + 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup Greek yogurt substitute for 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cube bouillon substitute for 1 teaspoon Better Than Bouillon or 1 cup broth / stock
- 1 cup milk substitute for 1 cup dairy-free milk
- 1 cup buttermilk substitute for 1 tablespoon lemon juice OR white vinegar + 1 cup of milk (dairy-free or dairy)
- 1 cup cottage cheese substitute for 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 cup bread crumbs substitute for 1 cup cracker crumbs
- 1 cup agave substitute for 1 cup honey
Have a recipe substitution of your own? Feel free to share it so we can test it out and add it to this growing list!